The K Desktop Environment
KDE is a modern network transparent desktop environment which uses the Qt cross-platform GUI toolkit. It contains a base set of applications such as a window manager (called kwm), web browser, instant messenger, and integrated help system, all with a consistent look and feel, and translations for over 50 languages.
Also included is an application development framework to facilitate the creation of new applications, and the KOffice application suite which includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation application, chart drawing, and many more.
As of March 2005, the latest stable release is KDE version 3.4, which has a major focus on accessibility improvements, including a text-to-speech framework.
Here are some screenshots:
- From the 1.0 release (97k) added in August 1998.
- From the 1.1 release (216k) added in April 1999.
- From the 2.0 release (165k) add in October 2000.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in February 2002: A screenshot (156k).
- Many more screenshots are available from the KDE screenshots page.
Everything worth knowing about KDE is available via the KDE web site. Other sites of interest include:
Latest news direct from KDE Dot News:
(last updated: Tue Oct 31 12:00:00 GMT 2006)