Other Desktop Environments
Here is a list of other desktop environments I've heard about. If you know of any others, or think I should feature any of them in more detail, please let me know.
See also the Other Window Managers page.
- LXDE: The Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment is especially designed for computers with low hardware specifications like netbooks and mobile devices.
- EDE: The Equinox Desktop Environment is small desktop environment built to be simple and fast. It is based on a modified FLTK library.
- FVWM-Crystal: A desktop environment built around the FVWM window manager, ROX-Filer file manager, and others.
- Athene Desktop: A commerical desktop with its own graphics server, although it can also display X11 applications for compatibility. A free download edition is available.
- Metisse: An experimental X desktop which uses a virtual X server, a special version of Fvwm, and OpenGL support to implement various window effects, including rotation, scaling, and blending.
- JD4X: The Java Desktop for X aims to provide a Java based desktop that can run both Java and native applications. It is initially only availabe for Linux x86 platforms.
- 3D-Desktop: An OpenGL program for switching virtual desktops in a seamless 3-dimensional manner on Linux.
- XD640: A simple graphical desktop environment for X designed for small screens and slow processors.
- XPde: A Windows XP-like desktop environment designed for Windows users migrating to Linux.
- ROX: An attempt to bring some of the good features from RISC OS to Unix and Linux. It includes a desktop environment based around a file manager.
- Flowe Desktop: A commerical desktop environment for Linux. This has now been bought by SlickEdit Inc, although no release is currently available.
- 5dwm: The Indigo Magic Desktop for Linux.
- foXdesktop: An attempt to create a new desktop environment based on FOX (an LGPL widget set). It is currently in an early state of development.
- EDE: the Equinox Desktop Environment. This is the beginnings of a small, fast, low memory environment, based on the Fast Light Toolkit.
- UDE: Unix Desktop Environment - early stages of a new window manager written using only XLib, rather than special GUI libraries.
- The GREAT Desktop, free for Linux (statically linked with Motif).