Tab Window Manager
Twm (Tab Window Manager, or sometimes Tom's Window Manager, after the principal author Tom LaStrange) provides titlebars, shaped windows, several forms of icon management, user-defined macro functions, click-to-type and pointer-driven keyboard focus, and user-specified key and pointer button bindings.
It has however been left behind by more recent window managers, making it something of mainly historical interest. It was for some time the only real choice of window manager, after taking over from the very simplistic uwm. Nearly every window manager since has borrowed heavily from it, either directly, or indirectly through other window managers, such as fvwm.
Here are some screenshots and configuration files:
- From email@example.com, added in June 1996: screenshot (14k), twmrc.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in March 1998: screenshot (42k), twmrc.
- From email@example.com, added in February 2001: screenshot (21k), twmrc.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in August 2001: screenshot (31k), twmrc.
The source code is no longer developed, but old TWM archives for various releases of X are available.
A paper about twm is also available in PDF format.
Vtwm is a virtual window manager with the look-and-feel of twm.
Here are some example configuration files, with screenshots:
- From email@example.com, added in June 1996: vtwmrc, screenshot (16k).
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in June 1996: vtwmrc, screenshot (233k). This setup is used with this xsession file.
- From email@example.com, added in June 1996: vtwmrc, screenshot (16k).
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in October 1999: vtwmrc, screenshot (215k). This setup also makes use of an ~/.Xclients file.
- From email@example.com, added in April 2001: vtwmrc, screenshot (129k).
Vtwm 5.3 is available for ftp from: ftp.x.org:/R5contrib/vtwm-5.3.tar.gz
There are newer versions available from the new vtwm page. Changes made in the 5.4 series include a 3D look similar to that of ctwm: